You got bored on a certain weekend and decided to have a weekend getaway with friends at Benin Republic — A country you’ve never been to. Very early on a Saturday morning, you all took a taxi to the bus park to board a bus to your new destination.
Sleep came at intervals during the journey until you finally got to your bus stop, you alighted and it dawned on you that you are in a french speaking country and your french communication skills is so poor that you have no idea what “Bienvenue” means. It wasn’t that bad though!
You’re a software developer who loves to think tech solutions to every problem that comes your way. And silently, you think to yourself “What if there’s a device that can aid my communication even if I don’t understand my language?”, “What if they speak french to me and I hear them speak English?”. These thoughts led my curiosity to make research if a device like that exists already, we are in the 21st century and technology is growing rapidly than the speed of light, I thought to myself.
To my not almost utmost surprise, I stumbled on SIGMO.
According to the information I collated, I have a summary for you below:
How they got the idea? David Barnett and Marti Karrer are friends from childhood. Whilst on vacation, we got an idea to create SIGMO. This was exactly what made me think of the product.
The Problem Statement
SIGMO — is a voice translating device that will revolutionise the way you are able to communicate and understand other languages.
- Would you like to communicate with foreigners without any problems during vacations, business trips or wherever you are?
- All these things become possible with the help of SIGMO!
Their Innovative Technologies
Beside the development of our translation device that allows people to communicate we also have 2 important aims that we’re working on:
1. Offline Translation. We are working on offline translation service that will give people an ability to download vocabularies into mobile and to communicate with others without internet connection. No one can do that right now and we want to be first among the others who will provide such function to our consumers.
2. Smart Translating Technology. It will allow to get not just an ordinary translation, but to translate the meaning the phrase you said. That is a unique technology that will make a huge step in translating and international communication.
All updates, improvements and innovative technologies that will be introduced over time will be absolutely free of charge for all Sigmo users. All you will need is just to update the App in mobile.
Why you need their device?
- No more language barrier: You can travel to Spain, Turkey, etc with no worries.
- It fit right into your pocket, no extra weight for you.
For now, I learnt it covers the following languages:
English (US), English (UK), English (Australia), English (Canada), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (United States), Spanish (Mexico), French (France), French (Canada), Finish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese (China), Mandarin and Cantonese(Taiwan / Hong Kong), Catalan, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Polish, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Hebrew, Czech, Turkish, African, Malay, Croatian, Thai, Greek, Bulgarian, Turkish, Slovak, Hungarian, Ukranian, Hindi.
I actually don’t understand what they mean by African in their list but I hope these include Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Swahili, and so on. But if not, I guess they should start looking at the African market for their product.
In conclusion, I’ll recommend programmers do this often:
- Travel, Travel and Travel more.
- Incline your thoughts pattern to your environment to bring solutions to the problems faced.
- If you have more morals and lessons from this post, do drop them as comments and I’ll be glad to update it here.
And some pix for your pleasure!
Click here to read more about Sigmo!